We’re a small but busy software company located in mid-town Toronto, looking for an experienced candidate to manage our network and IT systems.
Do you thrive in a challenging startup-like environment? Are you capable of multitasking and taking on multiple roles, from cloud management to network troubleshooting, from hardware upgrades to remote servers & firewall configuration? If so, apply for our full-time System Administrator position in a growing company, working with a great team in a flexible work environment!
- Be responsible for all aspects of a corporate LAN / cloud infrastructure and IT administration, including planning, procurement, configuration, troubleshooting and operations support
- Configure and maintain core local and cloud services such as file sharing, email, licensing, professional tools (ArcGIS, SugarCRM) and production (Heroku, AWS, S3), on Windows and Linux servers
- Take charge of the network security (firewall, VPN, certificates, updates & policies)
- Support intranet development environment (Git, Jira, Jenkins, build VMWare VMs and Docker instances)
- Write scripts to automate software deployment, maintenance, and backup tasks
- Provide smart in-person support to a team of technically savvy software developers & QAs, including cloud and local-based virtual machine maintenance and configuration
- Be available for periodic evening/weekend systems changes, server maintenance, and off-hours on-call support.
- At least 3 years of experience in lead network administrator or senior IT support role
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a post-secondary diploma or degree in Systems Administration / IT / Network Management
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux command line environment including shell scripting and remote server administration via SSH
- Extensive hands-on network management experience including firewalls, network, and server security, SSL certificates and best security practices
- Experience with Windows AD Domain Controller administration
Other highly desirable skills:
- Experience with web and cloud-based storage, integration, and monitoring tools (Amazon AWS, Heroku, NewRelic, Jenkins, Linode)
- Familiarity with small-scale virtualization and VMWare tools
- Performing hardware upgrade, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Performance monitoring and diagnostics
- Self-starter, proactive in exploring and implementing new technologies
- Able to work independently with little guidance and with a team
- Punctual, methodical, reliable and well-organized
We have great benefits!
- Competitive Base Salary
- Full Benefits Package
- Casual Dress Code
- Release Parties and Social Events
- Great work / life balance
- and lots more!
Avenza is redefining how customers create and interact with maps and are having a lot of fun in the process. We are a growing team of software developers, QA Specialists and GIS experts that are passionate about our products. We have been successful as a team for more than two decades and we take pride in creating software used by thousands of professionals and millions of users all over the world. Openness, collaboration and innovation are the cornerstones of our culture.
Before you submit the resume:
• Do you know what a pipe (|) command in UNIX or DOS is?
• Do you know the difference between WINS and DNS?
• Do you know what port forwarding has to do with NAT?
• Can you explain the pros and cons of different RAID levels (e.g. RAID0 and RAID1)?
• Can you write a script / command line that finds all files in a directory tree that contain “foo” in their content and copies them into another folder?
• Do you have anything to say about “\rm –rf .. >& /dev/null” command?
You need at least 5 strong ‘yes’ answers to apply
• Strictly no recruiters / consultants. Please apply via this website or by email (jobs AT avenza.com) only