My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Add Device?

Home Forums General Add Device?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  michaelb 6 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

david.eddy
    Participant

Hi,

On the Devices tab I only have ‘Internal GPS’ available and due to the limitations of Windows 10 and Windows Location Services, Internal GPS is only initialising when WiFi is connected (not very handy when you are out in the bush with no connectivity).

However, other applications allow me connect directly to COM1 and access the NMEA data stream which works perfectly fine with no connectivity (this particular tablet has a dedicated GPS chip).

Is there a way I can add a device or force Avenza to use COM1 (9600 baud rate)?

Kate
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Thank you for your post. To connect to an external GPS on Windows 10, there is a two-step process. The first step is to ensure that your device itself registers that an external GPS is connected to it. The second step is to open Avenza Maps, go to Settings > GPS and refresh the list until the GPS unit is displayed. Once it is displayed, please select it as the GPS to use. Please note that we have only tested a handful of GPS brands/models, and as such cannot guarantee that all GPS devices will work with Avenza Maps. If you continue to have any problems or have any other questions please let us know.

Kate Brillinger
    Avenza Support

i.scott
    Participant

Hi,

I have am using a Avenza 3.4.0 on a Galaxy Tab S2, and trying to get the Trimble Catalyst DA1 Antenna to work with Avenza, with little success.

You mention above that you need to go into settings>gps to see a list of GPS units. GPS units never appeared when we had the Catalyst connected using the correct apps and set up on the Galaxy.

Is there a way we can get the catalyst to work with Avenza?

Regards
    Ian

Kate
    Keymaster

Hi Scott,

In general, if the GPS unit will work with the device, Avenza Maps will use it as well. We have only tested with Garmin and Bad Elf GPS receivers, so we know they work, but cannot guarantee that any others work. The steps provided above were for the Windows version of the app which allows users to select the GPS receiver to use inside of Avenza Maps. Unfortunately, this behaviour is for Windows only, and on Android and iOS platforms, there is no way to specify the GPS receiver to use.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact our Support Team directly using the contact form at help.avenzamaps.com

Thank you,

Kate B
    Avenza Support

david.eddy
    Participant

Hi Kate,

After my initial post I gave up on the idea of using the tablets internal GPS and have had great success with using Avenza with a Trimble R1 Bluetooth receiver. It works perfectly fine after pairing with the Trimble app and shows up in the device list.

In your reply to i.scott you mentioned compatibility with Garmin receivers. Do you know if the Garmin GPS 18x USB receiver (https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/27594) is supported? The only reason I ask is because the USB model can only output data in Garmin proprietary format where as the DB-9 pin serial connector version outputs data in NMEA 0183 format (industry standard) or proprietary Garmin format.

Thanks,

David

Kate
    Keymaster

Hi David,

In general we do support Garmin devices, however, as technology changes, there is always the possibility that something internal has changed with the Garmin receivers or specific models. In general we test with the Bluetooth models, not USB models, so I cannot say with any certainty whether that specific model would work or not.

monitoring
    Participant

David, Kate-
    I’m trying to easily get better accuracy in remote locations using an iPhone and Avenza Pro. My office has an old bluetooth enabled GPS Pathfinder Pro with a VGA port and a software CD–but my laptop supports neither. David, you mentioned connecting to an antennae via Trimble app, which app and would it work for my situation? If not, I’m happy to buy a different antennae but need recommendations on simple and effective options. Thanks for any help you send my way.

michaelb

Hi,
    Thank you for your blog post. We currently support GPS receivers built by Garmin and Bad Elf.
    Other brands may or may not work and thus if you purchase one we can not guarantee you will be able to use it with Avenza Maps.

Regards
    Mike Brancati
    Avenza Support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here