My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Best resolution for PDF-maps?

Home Forums MAPublisher General Best resolution for PDF-maps?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  oliver 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Ruben
    Participant

My general knowledge tell me that a vector-map will present crisp borders in any zoom-in level, that happens while I am still in the illustrator realm. Also, vector-PDFs do the same crisp borders at any zoom-in level. Then, why the moment I export it from Mapublisher and see it in Avenza Maps it looks like an image-map?

How do I control better resolution?, do I increase size in Illustrator-page or do I reduce elements in vector-data?

oliver

Hello Ruben,

This is because Avenza Maps is raster based software (like Adobe Photoshop) and not a vector based (like Adobe Illustrator). All vector data is rasterized on import. It’s not only the resolution but also the image size that will affect the final look of the map, the amount of zoom you can achieve and the files size. The file size will then affect processing times on import. We don’t normally recommend image sizes above 10,000 x 10,000 but this is possible as an image may have a very high resolution but a small disk size due to image compression. I would recommend trying some different export settings and image dimensions until you find something that suits your needs.

For more help and guidance, you can contact us via help.avenza.com.

Kind Regards,
    Oliver
    Avenza Support

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here