My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Cannot upload old KML map

Home Forums General Cannot upload old KML map

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kate 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jamie_farrer
    Participant

Hi there,

I had to get a new tablet recently and have avenza back up and running. I found a copy of a map I’d hoped to use soon, but it will not upload it, saying it is an unsupported file type. The map is from 2017. Is it possible something has changed since then that will not allow me to use it?

Thanks

Kate

Thank you for your post. As long as the map is a geospatial PDF or a GeoTIFF you should be able to import it without any issue. In addition to these two, we also support JPG as long as they are in a zipped folder with the applicable reference files. What file format is the map?

For more details on the file formats that we support for import, please see our help articles below:

Android – http://help.avenzamaps.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2934897-importing-a-map-android-

iOS – http://help.avenzamaps.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2936861-importing-a-map-ios-

If you are still having issues, please don’t hesitate to respond here, or reach out to us via the form at help.avenzamaps.com

Kate
    Avenza Support

jamie_farrer
    Participant

Good morning,

Thanks for the fast response!

It is a KML file that i’d used with Avenza before I had to replace my device recently. Not sure why it won’t upload this time. I reviewed the instructions you sent, and I was attempting correctly.

Thanks again…

j

Kate

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for the additional information. KMLs can only be imported into an existing map as they contain features (points, lines, areas), and as such are not the map file itself. This is why you are seeing that error message. To import this file:

1. Open a map that covers the area you need
    2. Tap the map features icon (pin with 3 lines) at the bottom right of the screen)
    3. Depending on which platform you are using tap the ‘+’ icon (Android) or the square with the downward arrow (iOS) to import features
    4. Navigate to where the KML is stored and select it for import

Please let me know if this works!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here