My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Compass

Home Forums General Compass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    plouisemay
    Participant

When I try to open a map, I get an error message that says No compass. I have calibrated the compass on my android, as well as installing another compass on the android. I’m not sure how to fix this – any suggestions?

xavier

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I just have a few questions so I can provide some assistance.

1. Do you happen to have a metal case for your device? If so, when you remove it does it work?
    2. What is the make and model of your device?
    3. On the Avenza Maps app > Settings > Map View, do you have Magnetic North turned on or off?

Let me know and we will proceed from there.

plouisemay
    Participant

I do not have a metal case. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy A10e. I have used Avenza on this phone before, and it worked fine. I had to recently reinitialize my phone, and since then it hasn’t worked. The magnetic north is currently turned off. I turned it on, and still got the error message, so I turned it back off. Thanks for your help.

xavier

Hello,

Thank you for that information. I looked up the specs of the Samsung Galaxy A10e, and for its sensors, it only has an accelerometer and proximity sensor, in addition to the normal GPS sensors. Most Android devices that have a compass built into them have a magnetometer sensor which is used as a compass. Some compass apps use the accelerometer in conjunction with the GPS location to “guess” which way you are facing and how far you’ve moved. Which apps are you using that show your orientation?

Regards,

plouisemay
    Participant

google maps

xavier

Thank you for that information. Even if your device doesn’t have a compass, you can still use Google Maps to “calibrate” your compass. For example, I have a Galaxy Tab S6 Lite and it doesn’t have a compass, but it allows me to “calibrate” the compass, but it doesn’t have a compass inside of it.

If you need a compass to navigate, then in your next device, if it is an Android, looking for magnetometer as a sensor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.