My Account     Contact Us     Cart

"could not read PDF referencing" error for imported map in Android but not iOS

Home Forums Avenza Maps "could not read PDF referencing" error for imported map in Android but not iOS

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    joe.p.cook
    Participant

I often use georeferenced PDFs exported from ESRI ArcMap and ArcPro in Avenza and it usually works great. Recently I have encountered an error that is inconsistent between the iOS and android versions of Avenza. A map exported from ArcPro imports and opens successfully in the iOS version 3.12 (131.16) but not in the Android version (originally 3.11.1 Build 56 ARCH64. I just updated to 3.12 Build 14 ARCH 64) but it still does not work. Trying to import the PDF into the Android version results in the “could not read PDF referencing” error. Is there any reason why the same PDF would work on one version of Avenza and not the other? I have not experienced the error on iOS but I have heard some people have had similar errors in earlier versions of the iOS app.

xavier

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your post. The issue you are describing has been reported in the past. We are currently working on this issue to see what is happening. Could you please email us at support@avenza.com and send us the PDF that you are using? That way we can test with it?

Next, the current workaround is to use another format. For example, you could export the map as a TIFF instead of a PDF out of ArcMap, or if you open the PDF in another GIS software and then export it out of there as a PDF it will work with the Avenza Maps app. This is only an issue with ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap produced PDFs, there is some sort issue with their georeferencing that doesn’t agree with the Android version of our app.

If you have any questions please send us an email and we can assist.

tkurkcanoe
    Participant

I get this same/similar issue.

GeoPDF and GeoTIFF import gives error of “map isn’t referenced” when exporting from QGIS on a Mac and trying to display on Android. I’ve tried ISO and OGC formats.

Mac 10.15.7
    QGIS 3.16.0-Hannover
    Android 9

Mac 10.15.7
    QGIS 3.16.0-Hannover
    Android 9

When setting the coordinate system to GCS WGS84, the error does not occur and the map displays in Avenza appropriately, but it says I am not on the map, but I am.

Email sent to support email as well.

Tom

tkurkcanoe
    Participant

Update to my last email. I altered the QGIS project to use NAD83 Alaska Albers projection, and now it successfully displays within Avenza Maps on Android. I previously was using GCS WGS84 or WGS84 pseudomercator, both failing to display properly.

xavier

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your post. I’m glad you sent an email to support, they will be able to provide some assistance.

There was a known issue on a previous version of Avenza Maps, there is a bug for WGS84 Pseudo-Mercator coordinate systems, there may have been other coordinate systems that also didn’t work. We fixed this in the newest version of Avenza Maps, 3.13.1. If you are updated to the newest version you should be able to import those other maps.

Additionally, our Support Team will be able assist you if you are continuing to have issues.

Regards,

bren.croll
    Participant

Hi, just wondering whether there have been any updates on this issue?

I have exported a map from ArcMap that works fine as a PDF in ios, but not in android.

a TIFF file of equivalent quality works out to 65MB so is an impractical workaround

Kate
    Keymaster

We are still looking into this issue, as it appears to be an issue on Esri’s side and not ours so we have filed it with them.

Another workaround that we have found to be more efficient is to open the exported PDF in any PDF viewer, and simply resave it. If you can please give that a try and let me know if you have any other questions or problems!

Kate
    Avenza Support

bren.croll
    Participant

Hi Kate,

Thank you for your suggestion, it worked and now the same map works on both ios and Android platforms. Great workaround!

Kate
    Keymaster

Awesome!! Glad to hear that you were able to get your map working!!

Kate

evan
    Participant

I’m having this issue with georeferenced PDFs exported from QGIS 3.4. ‘map not referenced’ when imported on on IOS. I’ve tried several different coordinate systems and also tried opening and resaving with acrobat and preview.

malena

Hi Evan, thanks for your post!

We have seen this issue a few times and it tends to be a setting within QGIS when you are exporting that does not properly maintain the referencing of the map. Please feel free to open up a support ticket and send us a copy of your map. We can test the map on our end and determine if the issue is just simply being caused by a setting in QGIS or if something else is causing the issue.

You can submit a support ticket here.

Cheers,
    Malena

evan
    Participant

Solved. PDF georeferencing seems bugged in QGIS versions 2.18 and 3.4. Maps exported from 3.2 ‘Odense’ work well with Avenza. Thanks for the quick response.

Note for other users: even when using the appropriate export setting ‘save world file’ in 2.18/3.4, maps are still aren’t georeferenced properly.

malena

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Evan! We will add this QGIS bug documented in our documentation incase anyone else in the future runs into the same issue.

Malena

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here