My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Exporting KML files-photos orientation incorrect?

Home Forums Avenza Maps Exporting KML files-photos orientation incorrect?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    joe
    Participant

Hi, I’m using Avenza Maps version 3.7.2 on an Ipad. I’ve exported a file in KML format. Then opened the file in Google Earth. The images attached to the waypoints are all counterclockwise 90 degrees as viewed in G.E. Why is this so??? Is it a Google Earth issue or Avenza Maps?.
    This is really frustrating.
    Looking forward to your reply.

joe
    Participant

PS. I’ve already tried the following:
    “How do I get my exported images to display correctly in Google Earth?
    Last Updated: May 31, 2019 02:06PM EDT”
    This was from the support center FAQ.
    I used 7Zip to open the images. All were already in the correct orientation.
    Bit lost???

oliver
    Participant

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your question.

I would like to take a look at your data so if you could please contact us through help.avenzamaps.com and attach your KMZ file, I will be able to further advise you on this issue.

Kind Regards,

Oliver
    Avenza Systems Inc.

joe
    Participant

Hi Oliver,
    No need now. I have found the solution.
    1) Google Earth appears not to recognise orientation of photos. So if you export a KML file from Avenza maps to Google Earth it turns all portrait images counterclockwise 90 degrees. Horizontal images are fine.
    2) I downloaded Windows software called JPG Spinner. Just Brilliant. It rotated all my images in batch mode. I don’t understand how it did it but Google Earth now displays the orientation of my images correctly. Really simple to use too.
    3) But after you use JPG Spinner for image manipulation, you must change the Google Earth file (KML) into a KMZ.
    4) Then open in Google Earth is everything is correct.
    Hope this helps somebody. It took me a few hours of research, trial and error before stumbling up this methodology.

oliver
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Thank you for sharing your findings with us. I am sure that this will benefit a lot of users.

Through some testing of my own, I have had success in rotating the device 90 degrees in a counter-clockwise direction to take a landscape photo. This is exactly what the JPEG spinner is doing for you, however, if you do this with your device, you will not need to extract the KMZ and rotate the images and then recreate the KMZ. Images taken this way have displayed accurately in Google Earth every time I tested it on both iOS and Android devices so hopefully this works for you as well.

Kind Regards,

Oliver
    Avenza Systems Inc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here