My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Exporting TimeStamp Only Exports the Date, not the Time

Home Forums Avenza Maps Exporting TimeStamp Only Exports the Date, not the Time

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  xavier 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi – First of all thanks for viewing and helping with this topic.

I cannot export the TimeStamp that is attached to each feature as shown in Avenza Maps (the “Time” attribute) – it solely exports the date, not the actual time stamp. I’ve tried exporting both KML & SHP files – the KML files do not apparently export the TimeStamp field at all, and the SHP files only export the day/month/year values to the TimeStamp field.

I use FME to transform between different file types/data types, and that time stamp is not hidden or anything in the “TimeStamp” field that is exported shapefile. It apparently just isn’t exported, rather only the date is.

Am I doing something wrong here or is this a limitation/bug? I would like to avoid having to add a separate “Time” attribute to enter these data (i.e., to transpose the data from the TimeStamp attached to the feature to a separate “Time” attribute).

I’m working in Avenza Maps 3.7.1 Build(424). Thank you for any feedback you can provide.

xavier

Hello Benjamin,

Thank you for your post. Firstly, when it comes to including the DateTime, there is a limitation with GDAL during the creation of shpfiles:
    “Only Integer, Integer64, Real, String and Date (not DateTime, just year/month/day) field types are supported. The various list and binary field types cannot be created” – GDAL website

Therefore, for the for the shpfile there isn’t anything we can do at this time.

Now in regards to the KML, the KML should include the TimeStamp with the exported data.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a build of Avenza Maps 3.7.1, we are currently on Avenza Maps 3.13. However, if you can send me a copy of one of your map features I can see if there is an issue. I’m not entirely sure if it worked the same on the older version of Avenza Maps, but I can check to see if there is an issue. Please use our Support Form: support.avenzamaps.com and we will be able to assist you.

Hi Xavier,

Thank you for the prompt reply & my apologies for the delayed follow-up response here.

I am indeed able to get at the full timestamp by exporting the KML file type. It’s tucked away in a “kml_timestamp_when” schema attribute that is not immediately visible as an attribute field in Google Earth or any ESRI software. I had to use ETL software to expose that particular attribute, but indeed the full timestamps are housed there.

It would be nice if the KML export feature automatically brought that timestamp to the immediate forefront as a user attribute field. It appears that it is currently buried in the metadata of the KML layer. Without the ETL software I’m not sure how I would be able to obtain the data from Avenza’s timestamp.

Thank you for your help.
    -Ben

xavier

Hello Ben,

I’m glad you were able to locate the time stamp using another software. This has been a feature request in the past. I’ve gone ahead and added you to the ticket so you will be notified if and when it is implemented.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here