My Account     Contact Us     Cart

GeoTIFF size limit for import

Home Forums Avenza Maps GeoTIFF size limit for import

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JOECERADINI
    Participant

Hi all.

I have a free Avenza Maps account running on Android, Galaxy S7 (I will be trying this same thing soon on my oldish ipad pro). I’m exporting GeoTIFFs of fairly high-resolution aerial imagery from ArcMap. When I export a GeoTIFF that is a little over 2 GB and try to open it in Avenza on my phone, I get “unknown processing error” and nothing happens. In the ArcMap export, resolution is 2500 dpi and pixels are 33203 x 22734. If I export as 2400 dpi (31875 x 21825 pixels) instead, which results in a tif just under 2 GB, then Avenza processes it and it opens. I haven’t seen anything on a hard file size limit. Is 2 GB a cut-off for free accounts? Or is this related to “artboard size”?

This post says there are size limits and it also depends on your hardware, but also talks about importing 2 GB files. I don’t know how to determine “artboard size”.

Size limit of layer

Thanks!
    Joe

Kate
    Keymaster

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your post.

Within ArcMap there are a few spots where you can adjust the size of your map:

– Print Layout
    – Layout view/toolbar
    – as well as through scripting commands (SetPageSize)

Looking at the other post you shared, it is possible to import large map files, and it is completely based on the processing ability of the device as well as the general map extents/size. As you noted, when you reduced the size it did work, so it seems that you may have found that threshold already. There is no size limit/restriction for the free version, as even those on Pro may have difficulty with a 2GB map. To be honest, I’ve seen people with a 300MB map have problems as it all depends on the detail within the map, the number of zoom levels that are created (which is based on resolution, so any control here has to be done on the map creation side), and the processing ability of the device.

Did you have any luck importing it on your iPad? Looking at the S7 specs, it does appear to be an older device (initially released in 2016), however, it does appear to have 4GB of RAM which theoretically should be enough, but again given that it’s an older device, it may not be processing and utilizing that RAM in an optimal state.

If you’d like to reach out to us via https://bit.ly/3dkAjFF and share the file you are working with that is not working (the larger file) we’d be happy to take a look and see if there is anything specific, other than size that might be causing any issues.

Kate
    Avenza Support

JOECERADINI
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Kate. Sorry, typo, I have a Galaxy S9 (released 2018), but it looks like it also only has 4 GB RAM.

Exporting the the imagery from Arc at 2400 dpi, just below a 2 GB file, is working on my Galaxy. It takes Avenza 2-3 hours to process and tile the map but it seems to work great once imported. But, yea, anything above that won’t import, so I guess that’s the limitation for my Galaxy (which I’m impressed with, so no complaints).

I have a 2016 Ipad pro, which only has 2 GB RAM (such a big device, so little power!) and the size limit is much smaller for importing maps. For the same maps I’m importing onto my Galaxy, the largest file the iPad will take is 1.16 GB (1900 dpi export from Arc). So, I guess about half the RAM, about half the file size. I need a new Ipad…

– Joe

Kate
    Keymaster

Thank you for the update Joe!

In regards to the processing time – GeoTIFFs do tend to take longer to process on Avenza side, as it has to essentially break down the file and create all those zoom levels. Geospatial PDFs tend to process faster, but you will sometimes sacrifice the resolution when using them (again depending on settings, etc.)

I’m glad you were able to find that threshold and are happy with it! As always if you come across any other problems or questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to us through support.avenzamaps.com/hc

Kate

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here