My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Helium Backup using SD card

Home Forums Avenza Maps General Helium Backup using SD card

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kate 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

spatialsolutionse
    Participant

Hi, I want to backup my Avena settings and collections in order to try and resolve some memory use issues on my device. I don’t want to have to reload hundreds of maps in multiple collections if I get something wrong. All my maps are custom made and stored on the SD card.
    I have downloaded Helium and set up all the required developer settings on the devices to run a backup. Does Helium allow me to copy the current SD card contents onto another larger SD card and still retain full functionality of existing collections on restart? When I try to use Helium to backup to my PC it takes only a few seconds so I *suspect* that Helium is only backing up the bits of Avenza that are stored on the device memory, rather than the SD card. What to do? The underlying problem is that Avenza really needs an SD card to make it work to its full potential, but it seems that relying on the SD card means we have memory-hogging issues and also problems with doing maintenance on the collections/folders without risking the entire (time consuming and frustrating) map-loading process.

Kate
    Keymaster

HI,

Thank you for your post. While we generally recommend Helium as a backup method for Android devices, we cannot guarantee it’s full functionality and that it will work in all cases. We do not test with Helium on a regular basis, and as it is a 3rd party app, there can be a lot of variation not only in its own functionality but with your device, the files you have, etc.

In regards to the memory issues, this is often related more-so to the device and the number of maps that you are trying to maintain both on your device, and within Avenza Maps. For example, if you are keeping a constant 150 maps loaded in Avenza Maps, the app is keeping these maps processed and accessible at a moment’s notice so the memory usage will be higher. We recommend users try to keep only what they need in the app in order to prevent the device itself (not the app) from maxing out memory, etc. which could result in a loss of data.

Please don’t hesitate to contact our Support team directly (help.avenzamaps.com) if you have any further questions regarding this.

Kate
    Avenza Support

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here