My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Map Tagger formatting

Home Forums MAPublisher Map Tagger formatting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  xavier 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

chass
    Participant

I’ve set up the Map Tagger tool to label features manually (my preferred method). The Character Styles I’m using are set to flush left (again, my preference), such that when I’m just typing a name (not using the Tagger tool), the name appears flush left. But when I switch over to the Tagger tool, the name appears centred. Then I have to select it and then change it to flush left. This happens even though I’ve set up the Tagger to use the same Character Style. Is there any way to correct this? Thanks!

Charles Syrett
    Map Graphics

xavier

Hello Charles,

Thank you for your post. If I understand your issue properly, you want the label to appear on the left side of the feature you are labeling or do you want the text to be left-aligned instead of centred?

Additionally, what feature type are you labeling? Are you using area, line, or point features? I know there are different settings for each of the different types, or do you use all type of features with the MAP Tagger tool?

Let me know and I will see if what you are trying to do is possible or I will file a feature request for you.

Regards,

chass
    Participant

I’m using the tagger tool simply to click on lakes (and some rivers) that appear as area features, as well as rivers (appearing as line features) – but only so that the names will appear at all, just to save typing by hand. I’m not looking for a default position relative to the feature. I *always* move names around, change sizes, kerning, etc.

But I’ve also always found that water names are easier to work with when they’re flush left. Using the tagger and changing from centre to flush left is still faster and easier than typing by hand, but I’m hoping that there’s something I’m missing here and that I don’t need that extra step. Thanks!

Charles Syrett
    Map Graphics

xavier

Hello Charles,

Thank you for that information. I have a better idea of what you are trying to do, unfortunately, there isn’t a setting in the MAP Tagger tool that allows you to change it to the left alignment. The quickest way to change your labels is to Select All of them in the Layers panel, and then in the Paragraph panel (Window > Type > Paragraph), and then selecting the left align option.

If you mean something by “flush left” can you email us at support@avenza.com and show me an example with a screenshot? If that is what you want to do, then I can file a feature request to include left alignment within the MAP Tagger tool.

Regards,

chass
    Participant

Makes sense. It looks like the Tagger tool is constrained by Illustrator’s odd setup of having two different type styles (character and paragraph). The Tagger appears only to use the character styles, which don’t allow alignment to be specified.

I’ve only recently migrated from FreeHand, and the Tagger tool in FreeHand worked just fine because there was only one set of styles for type.

Doing a “select all” doesn’t work in my current project, which has a scale of 1:750,000. Any drainage data that gives sufficient detail for the linework also has far too many labels if I try to bring them up all at once. But I wouldn’t want to do that anyway; at this scale, I prefer to name features by choosing them one at a time, rather than by subtracting the ones I don’t want.

Thanks for your help!

Charles Syrett
    Map Graphics

xavier

Hello Charles,

I can still file a feature request to have the ability to specify alignment with Tagger tool labels. If it’s not possible, then unfortunately, I think the way that you’ve been doing it is the fastest for your projects.

If it is possible and we implement it, then you will be notified when it is implemented.

chass
    Participant

Xavier, that would be wonderful, if you folks could pull that off. And I don’t actually think that it’s “unfortunate” if this doesn’t happen….I date to the era when we did our maps using scribecoat and stick-on type!

cheers
    Charles Syrett
    Map Graphics

xavier

Hello Charles,

No problem, if you have any other suggestions please let us know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here