My Account     Contact Us     Cart

No tracks with screen off Android

Home Forums Avenza Maps General No tracks with screen off Android

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  xavier 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

blksmth
    Participant

I am using Avenza Map on a Galaxy 8 running Android 9. It works beautifully except that when I am recording a track and I turn off the screen it doesn’t record any points while the screen is off. When I turn the screen back on it makes a straight line to my new location. I have my phone’s power mode set to High Performance which should be the least conserving mode. It says it allows background location checks in that mode. Avenza is an excellent very useful product, but this makes it difficult to use for tracking. Do you know of a work around for this issue?

Thank you,

Whitney Potter, Sonoma SAR

xavier

Hello Whitney,

Thank you for your post. The battery setting you have is correct, however, you may also need to change some other settings.

1. Ensure that you are using GPS Fixtures and not Network Fixtures. Network Fixtures are based on your cellphone’s connection to the nearest cell phone tower. A network connection for location accuracy is not as consistent, reliable, or precise as a GPS fixture. The easiest way to do this is to turn off your mobile network while using the app.
    There is also a setting that can fix this:
    iOS: Settings > Avenza Maps > Cellular Data > Turn off
    Android: Avenza Maps > Settings > GPS > Only Use Satellite Fixes > Turn On

2. You can check your GPS Track Settings and apply the settings that apply to the environment you are in. For example, if you are experiencing inaccurate GPS readings while you are in an open field, you can change to Keep All Fixes and it will give you more readings so it will be more accurate for Time and Distance. Horizontal accuracy is a bit trickier.

3. You may also need to change your Location Services to Always on, instead of while using the app. Since, Android may consider the app not being used while your screen is turned off. The Location Services will be located in your device settings.

Let me know if that fixes your issue or if you continue to have problems.

blksmth
    Participant

Thanks for your help Xavier. I have followed steps 1 and 2. I can’t find any option for Always on in the Locations services settings on my phone. It still stops recording tracks when I turn off the screen. Do you have other things to try?

blksmth
    Participant

I have also found that on my phone Avenza doesn’t record points if I switch to another app even if the screen stays on the whole time. When I bring the screen back to Avenza the track jumps to the current location but nothing has been recorded during the time I had another app on the screen. I hope this helps you figure out what is going on and what I can do to fix it. Avenza Map is such an awesome tool, but this glitch makes it very hard to use on my phone. I have heard from another team member who has the same problem with a Pixel 3 running Android 10.

xavier

Hello,

I apologize for the late reply.

To turn on the location settings:
    From a Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps.
    Note These instructions apply to Standard mode and the default Home screen layout.
    Navigate: Settings > Biometrics and security Biometrics and security icon > Location.
    Tap the Location switch to turn on Switch On icon or off Switch Off icon.
    If presented with the Location consent screen, tap Agree.
    If presented with Google Location consent, tap Agree.

Additionally, ensure this is turned on too:
    From home, swipe up to access Apps.
    Tap settings app icon Settings > connections settings icon Connections > Location.
    Tap On/Off to turn on Location services.
    Tap Locating method to select how your location is determined:
    Phone only: Uses GPS only.

I looked up the settings for Samsung Galaxy s8. I’m not exactly sure, because Android has so many different “flavours” and settings across Android devices are different. If there is an Always On or Always Allow in any of those locations, please turn that on.

Regards,

blksmth
    Participant

Thanks. I know how to turn location services on and off. The app works fine as long as it is on the screen, but it doesn’t record points whenever it is in the background or the screen is off. None of the other GPS tracking apps I use share this problem. Is there a fix for Avenza? Or is it just crippled on certain versions of Android?

xavier

Hello,

Can you check in the App Permissions area to see if there are any settings that allow you to turn on an Always Allow function?

I am confident that the setting exists on Samsung Galaxy s8, I just don’t know where exactly it is. We have other users that have the same device and the setting exists. With the release of Android 9 and 10 there are built-in low-power integrations that can cause that issue when it goes to sleep many functions are halted or put on reduced performance to conserve battery life. This includes GPS function since it isn’t an essential service to be running while the screen is turned off.

Regards,

blksmth
    Participant

Thanks Xavier. That appears to fix it. For reference the sequence is:

Settings > Apps > Avenza Maps > Battery > turn on Allow background activity

xavier

Hello,

Perfect, I’m glad that fixed your issue.

Thank you for that information, it will be helpful in the future.

If you have any questions or issues in the future don’t hesitate to let me know.

andrew.c.johnson90
    Participant

I am having the same issue with a Samsung Galaxy 8 running android. Avenza version 3.10.2.

I have changed all the settings referenced in previous solutions and when I turn off the screen, background GPS processing still stops.
    I have also made sure all android and avenza updates are current and enabled background processing anywhere else I could find. But, background processing is confirmed to not be actually working in battery settings as no minutes of background processing have been documented, even after multiple attempts for it to process in the background.

xavier

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please try the following:

1. Ensure that you are using GPS Fixtures and not Network Fixtures. Network Fixtures are based on your cellphone’s connection to the nearest cell phone tower. A network connection for location accuracy is not as consistent, reliable, or precise as a GPS fixture. The easiest way to do this is to turn off your mobile network while using the app.

2. You can check your GPS Track Settings and apply the settings that apply to the environment you are in. For example, if you are experiencing inaccurate GPS readings while you are in an open field, you can change to Keep All Fixes and it will give you more readings so it will be more accurate for Time and Distance. Horizontal accuracy is a bit trickier. It also depends on the environment you are in. You can send a screenshot if you want then I can recommend settings.

3. Make sure that Battery Saver is turned off, when the battery saver is turned on, it will diminish the performance of the GPS. Ensure that you don’t have it set to Optimized because that can cause issues with GPS and Bluetooth connectivity. With the release of Android 9 and 10 there are built-in low-power integrations that can cause that issue when it goes to sleep many functions are halted or put on reduced performance to conserve battery life. This includes GPS function since it isn’t an essential service to be running while the screen is turned off.

For some users, if you change the setting for location services from “While using the app” to “Always” it seems to have worked. This is because of those integrated battery saving options I mentioned earlier. Sensors like GPS, Bluetooth, etc. get less power when the screen is closed.

If that doesn’t work, can you please email our support team at support@avenza.com. We will be able to assist you further through email, as we will need to see some screenshots and additional info.

ledgerbench321
    Participant

Yes, I am facing the same problem.

xavier

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please try the following:

2. You can check your GPS Track Settings and apply the settings that apply to the environment you are in. For example, if you are experiencing inaccurate GPS readings while you are in an open field, you can change to Keep All Fixes and it will give you more readings so it will be more accurate for Time and Distance. Horizontal accuracy is a bit trickier. It also depends on the environment you are in. You can send a screenshot if you want then I can recommend settings.

3. Make sure that Battery Saver is turned off, when the battery saver is turned on, it will diminish the performance of the GPS. Ensure that you don’t have it set to Optimized because that can cause issues with GPS and Bluetooth connectivity. With the release of Android 9 and 10 there are built-in low-power integrations that can cause that issue when it goes to sleep many functions are halted or put on reduced performance to conserve battery life. This includes GPS function since it isn’t an essential service to be running while the screen is turned off.

For some users, if you change the setting for location services from “While using the app” to “Always” it seems to have worked. This is because of those integrated battery saving options I mentioned earlier. Sensors like GPS, Bluetooth, etc. get less power when the screen is closed.

If that doesn’t work, can you please email our support team at support@avenza.com. We will be able to assist you further through email, as we will need to see some screenshots and additional info.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here