September 8, 2019 at 7:22 pm #2182111daveloveParticipant
My phone died and I noticed I could download all my maps I had previously downloaded on my new phone with my log in but unfortunately there wasn’t a way for me to access my layers (waypoints, tracks, etc.) I previously had. I had never previously exported them. Now in order to avoid losing all my waypoints I’ve exported my layers and via KML format and saved to my Google Drive. I’m trying to figure out how to import the layers but it looks like I am only able to import the file formats (layers names, file default icon, etc.). Is there a way to import my waypoints with the descriptions? Is this a pro feature? If it is a pro feature, will my KML export that I created with a my free account work on a new phone if I pay for the pro account?
I’m hoping not to loose all my waypoints again.
DavidSeptember 9, 2019 at 8:47 am #21826KateKeymaster
Thank you for your post. If you were able to get the files exported from your old device, you can definitely import them onto your new one with the free version!
There are a couple of ways to do this depending on how you exported them in the first place. If you exported them from the Layers tab (i.e. exported all the layers from all maps at once), then you will need to import them via the Layers tab and re-assign the individual layers to the maps as required. To do this:
1. Open the app on your new device
2. Tap the Layers tab > Import icon
3. Navigate to where you have the KML saved and select it to import
4. The file should import and break out into the various layers
5. To assign the layers to the correct map, enter the Edit state from the Layers tab (Edit icon for iOS, long press on a layer and select the pencil icon for Android)
6. Scroll down and select “Link to Maps”
7. Select the map(s) you want to link the layer to
If you exported the layers map by map, then you can import them using the same method. To do this:
1. Open the desired map
2. Tap the Map Features icon
3. Tap the ‘Link Layers’ icon at the top of the screen (pin with a map icon)
4. Select the layer(s) you wish to link to that map
If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to check out our help articles at help.avenzamaps.com which detail this process for the respective device that you are using. If you still have questions after looking at the articles, please feel free to contact us using the form on help.avenzamaps.com as well!
The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.