My Account     Contact Us     Cart

Working with Geospatial PDFs

Home Forums Avenza Maps General Working with Geospatial PDFs

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kate 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

clay_butch
    Participant

I am new to Avenza maps.

Am trying to capture several features per layer on a Geospatial pdf basemap.

Two questions:

1) If I read the support info correctly, anything I have captured in a feature or layer will be lost if I should ever never to transfer the map, location pins and associated features and layers. Am I reading this correctly?

2) There are a limited number of locations pins (colors) vailable in the non-subscription map.

Is it possible to download other location pins and colors from any associated support site?

If I use the same color pin for different locations of similar/associated attributes, does each pin afford a different menu of layers and features?

Thanks very much.

BC

Kate

Hi Clay,

Thank you for your post.

For Android devices, the behaviour you have described (pins being lost when the map is removed) is correct. On iOS devices, if you delete the map, the layer (which contains any placemarks, tracks, etc. created for that map), will be maintained in the Layers tab. We are currently working on our next release (Avenza Maps 3.5) which will have this Layers tab functionality on Android as well, so the risk of losing data if you remove a map will be significantly decreased.

In regards to the symbology related to layers, our latest release, 3.4 and 3.4.1 feature new symbols which users can enjoy. If you are wanting additional colours or symbol options, this can be achieved by creating a KML/KMZ file in Google Earth, assign different colours and pins to placemarks (can be randomly located placemarks), and then import this file into Avenza Maps. Once imported, the symbols imported will be available on other maps and layers (even if you delete the original file).

I’m not sure what you are referring to when you ask “If I use the same color pin for different locations of similar/associated attributes, does each pin afford a different menu of layers and features?” Are you asking if you use the same colour (e.g. red) on different maps or layers, are the attributes you’ve specified the same? If so, the answer is no. The attributes you specify will be specific to the layer you choose, not the symbol.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us using our Support Form at help.avenzamaps.com and we would be happy to help further.

Kate B
    Avenza Support

lewisbrandonc2
    Participant

I’m trying to create a point file kml in Arcmap. it exports and shows perfectly in Google Earth, but when I import it into Avenza its just a black dot.

Kate

Thank you for your post. KML files are highly customizable and sometimes the tags used in some software don’t work appropriately it others. What I would recommend is if it displays in Google Earth correctly, re-save it out of Google Earth and then trying importing that file as we work much better with Google Earth when it comes to KML files, as ESRI uses different tags than what we support.

If you are still having problems please don’t hesitate to reach out to us using the contact form on help.avenzamaps.com

Kate

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here