– Latest version of Avenza’s geospatial PDF reader now includes GPS tracks for Android –
Toronto, ON, April 10, 2014 – Avenza Systems Inc., the leading developer of cartographic software –including MAPublisher® for Adobe® Illustrator® and Geographic Imager® geospatial tools for Adobe Photoshop®– is pleased to announce the release of PDF Maps 1.2 for Android, the popular map and navigation app. The PDF Maps app allows users to explore and navigate maps offline without having to worry about cellular data connectivity or incur data roaming charges compared to other streaming map apps.
The PDF Maps app takes advantage of geospatial technology that allows travelers to view and measure real world locations and attributes. Paired together with mobile devices that utilize GPS, such as an Android device, the PDF Maps app provides constant access to geographic locations and even points of interest without the risk of losing reception due to cell tower proximity making it the ultimate travel accessory for any activity in areas where internet bandwidth is not available or while roaming outside one’s data zone. With the latest updates in PDF Maps 1.2 for Android, users will appreciate the following new features and enhancements:
- A new GPS Tracks tool to track your hikes, rides, or walks
- A new Plot Photos tool (limit of one photo at a time)
- The ability to save lines with Measure Tool
- The ability to include photos and editable location for map features
- The ability to export map features to GPX and CSV formats
- The ability to import JPG with external reference files (one JPG with JGW & PRJ or JGW & WKT placed in a .zip)
- Map List and Map Features List fixes and folder improvements
- The ability to import and export attribute schema
- Improved PDF import compatibility
The PDF Maps for Android app already has the following features since its initial release:
- Read geospatial PDF, GeoTIFF, and GeoPDF®maps
- Access and load maps through Android file system, Dropbox, or the web over Wi-Fi and cellular networks. Saved maps can be used without the need for a live network connection (offline).
- Browse, preview, purchase and download professionally created maps from the Avenza Map Store, including 1:24,000 scale USGS topographic maps for the entire United States (existing iOS PDF Maps accounts are compatible)
- Quickly view, zoom and pan maps using gestures (pinch, drag and flick, double tap)
- View your location on a map using the built-in GPS device
- Plot placemarks, change placemark and track colors, position and label names, and description
- Save placemarks and quickly view them all in a list. Export placemarks as KML to SD card, e-mail or sync with Dropbox
- Add and edit attributes for placemarks
- Organize folders and maps in Map Features and the Map List
- Use the Find Places tool to search maps (based on OpenStreepMap)
- Import placemarks (in KML/KMZ format) from SD card, Dropbox or the web.
- Display coordinates in a number of systems including Lat/Long (WGS84), Lat/Long (Map Default), Northing/Easting, or Military Grid Reference System (MGRS)/United States National Grid (USNG)
- Easily find the coordinates of any location in the map; including the ability to type in a coordinate to search.
- View the coordinates of the current position and of any placemark and open it in the Google Maps app
- Measure distances and areas
PDF Maps 1.2 for Android is available now on the Google Play Store free of charge for personal and private use. Commerical, government and academic use licensing is available for a nominal fee. For more information about PDF Maps, visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com or the PDF Maps website at www.pdf-maps.com. Pricing of each map is set by the publisher and free maps remain free to users through the PDF Maps app in-app store.
For further information contact: