Latest Enhancements Include Ability to Import JPG with External Reference Files
Toronto, ON, April 15, 2014 – Avenza Systems Inc., the leading developer of cartographic software –such as MAPublisher for Adobe Illustrator and Geographic Imager geospatial tools for Adobe Photoshop — announced the launch of PDF Maps 2.3 for iOS devices. This release incorporates enhanced features and suggestions from consumers that currently use the first and only geospatial PDF and GeoTIFF reader on Apple iOS for travel, outdoor activities or business purposes out in the field. Based on the needs of its primary consumers, PDF Maps app 2.3 provides iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users the ability to track speed and elevation in real-time and import and export data more succinctly.
The PDF Maps app takes advantage of geospatial technology that allows travelers to view and measure real world locations and attributes. Paired together with mobile devices that utilize GPS, such as an iPhone, the PDF Maps app provides constant access to geographic locations and even points of interest without the risk of losing reception due to cell tower proximity making it the ultimate travel accessory for any activity in areas where internet bandwidth is not available or while roaming outside one’s data zone. With the latest updates in PDF Maps 2.3, users will appreciate the breadth of enhanced features:
- Included the ability to select and import multiple files using From iTunes File Sharing
- Included the display of crosshair location coordinate while using the Find Coordinates tool
- Improved KML/KMZ support
- Resolved a Map Features attribute issue that prevented hyperlinks from working properly on iOS 7
- Improved accuracy of Nearby Maps results
- Resolved a Photos attribute crash when device is unable to get GPS location
- Ability to import JPG with external reference files (one JPG with JGW & PRJ or JGW & WKT placed in a .zip)
Currently, Avenza’s vast PDF Maps app library covering maps for domestic and international travel includes more than 100,000 maps organized by state and area. All maps available through the in-app iTunes-like map store offer the following capabilities:
- Access and load maps through in-app purchase, iTunes File Sharing, Wi-Fi or cellular network to read maps anytime
- Access and interact with saved maps without the need for a live network connection (offline)
- View your location on the PDF map using the built-in GPS device or via Wi-Fi triangulation
- Find coordinate of any location in the map, including the ability to type in a coordinate to search
- Display coordinates as Lat/Long (WGS84), Lat/Long (Map Default), Northing/Easting, or Military Grid Reference System (MGRS/United States National Grid (USNG)
- Support for GeoTIFF files to create tiles similar to how a geospatial PDF is tiled
- Map rendering in higher resolution
- Overlay Google search results
- Add waypoints and collect/record information about locations, including photos
- Measure distances and areas
- Open current map extents in the Maps app
- Quickly view, zoom and pan maps using gestures (pinch, drag and flick, double tap)
- Change pin colors, position and label names
PDF Maps 2.3 is available now on the iTunes App Store free of charge for personal and private use. Commerical, government and academic use licensing is available for a nominal fee. For more information about PDF Maps, visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com or the PDF Maps website at www.pdf-maps.com. Pricing of each map is set by the publisher and free maps remain free to users through the PDF Maps app in-app store.
More about Avenza Systems Inc.
Avenza Systems Inc. is an award-winning, privately held corporation that provides cartographers and GIS professionals with powerful software tools for making better maps. In addition to software offerings for Mac and Windows users, Avenza offers value-added data sets, product training and consulting services. For more information visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com.