PDF Maps 2.6 for iOS Provides Consumers More Purchasing Choices With Map Bundles Including New York-New Jersey Trail Conference
TORONTO, ON (August 25, 2015)— Avenza Systems Inc., the leading developer of cartographic software — such as MAPublisher for Adobe Illustrator and Geographic Imager geospatial tools for Adobe Photoshop — announced the latest version of PDF Maps 2.6 for iOS devices. This release introduces Map Bundles available for purchase in the PDF Maps Store. Map publishers can now group multiple maps together to create map bundles and offer them for sale, giving consumers more purchasing options, an opportunity to save money, and an improved shopping experience.
The PDF Maps app takes advantage of geospatial technology that allows travelers to view and measure real world locations and attributes. Paired together with mobile devices that utilize GPS, such as an iPhone, the PDF Maps app provides constant access to geographic locations and even points of interest without the risk of losing reception due to cell tower proximity. This makes it the ultimate travel accessory for any activity in areas where internet bandwidth is not available or while roaming outside one’s data zone. Key features and capabilities of PDF Maps 2.6 include:
- Introducing Map Bundles in the PDF Maps Store, download and purchase collections of maps
- Improved OpenStreetMap search results
- Option to disable placemark aggregation
- German, Russian, Japanese and Chinese localization
- New online help available through Settings
- Line units are now uniform and will display in the current units in the Measure tool as opposed to being set individually
- Data recorded on maps without georeferencing is no longer supported as a result of major database changes. Export data prior to upgrading to save recorded data.
“As a company that strives to help our industry evolve and grow in a digital environment, we’re listening to our map publisher’s requests and have created map bundles to provide them with additional sales opportunities. This also reaffirms our commitment to make it easy for consumers to obtain maps,” said Ted Florence, president, Avenza Systems Inc. “We’re excited to see the continued growth of PDF Maps, not just as a product, but as a valuable tool that aids consumers in exploring the world as well as helps commercial users solve problems. We hope the latest features of PDF Maps 2.6 help make a difference.”
“The availability of New York-New Jersey Trail Conference maps in the PDF Maps Store has continued to provide an additional platform that consumers can easily access digitally while providing an interactive way to experience our rich content, especially with the latest version of PDF Maps,” said Jeremy Apgar, cartographer, New York-New Jersey Trail Conference. “Map bundles are an excellent way to purchase multiple maps and provide a tremendous value. We’re excited that we can continue to provide accurate and detailed maps to PDF Maps app users.”
Currently, Avenza’s vast PDF Maps app library covering maps for domestic and international destinations includes more than 100,000 maps organized by country, state and area. All maps available through the in-app iTunes-like map store offer the following capabilities:
- Access and load maps through in-app purchase, iTunes File Sharing, Wi-Fi or cellular network to read maps anytime
- Access and interact with saved maps without the need for a live network connection (offline)
- View your location on the PDF map using the built-in GPS device or via Wi-Fi triangulation
- Find coordinates of any location in the map, including the ability to type in coordinates to search
- Display coordinates as Lat/Long (WGS84), Lat/Long (Map Default), Northing/Easting, or Military Grid Reference System (MGRS/United States National Grid (USNG)
- Support for GeoTIFF files to create tiles similar to how a geospatial PDF is tiled
- Map rendering in higher resolution
- Overlay Google search results
- Add waypoints and collect/record information about locations, including photos
- Measure distances and areas
- Open current map extents in the Maps app
- Quickly view, zoom and pan maps using gestures (pinch, drag and flick, double tap)
- Change pin colors, position and label names
PDF Maps app 2.6 is available now on the iTunes App Store free of charge for personal and private use. PDF Maps app is also available for use with Android devices in the Google Play Store free of charge for personal non-commercial use. A Windows version is currently in public beta. Commercial, government and academic use licensing is available for a nominal annual fee. For more information about PDF Maps, visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com or the PDF Maps website at www.pdf-maps.com. Pricing of each map is set by the publisher and free maps remain free to users through the PDF Maps app in-app store.
About Avenza Systems Inc.
Avenza Systems Inc. is an award-winning, privately held corporation that provides cartographers and GIS professionals with powerful software tools for making better maps as well as the PDF Maps mobile mapping system. In addition to software offerings for Mac and Windows users, Avenza offers value-added data sets, product training and consulting services. For more information, visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com.